Friday, April 13, 2007

Music That Matters: Panda Bear - Person Pitch


The long version
Its really really really rare, when I just want to listen to an album over and over and over again. The most recent example of this was J Dilla - Donuts, a psychedelic hip-hop classic. On first listen the album seemed weak, shallow and non necessary. But something kept drawing me back. And with each listen I grew more and more in love until it became my favorite album of 2006, and even now Jay Dee (aka J Dilla) is STILL my top artist on my last.fm.
So. I took a listen to this album. Again at first It was tedious, and reminded me alot of Brian Wilson's Beach Boys work (in the singing). But then I started hearing the myriad found sound samples and layers of instrumentation and reverb working into whole collage of sound layers. When I was on the bus listening and as I stared into the gray skies and traffic ahead, it hit me then that this was a great album. This usually never happens, but its like the light bulb in cartoons, where all of a sudden, it just clicks. With every listen more sound and layers and little gifts are unlocked in a Neo-Psychedelic/Pop landscape of sound. This is an album where being an audiophile is worth it. Of course people will wonder abotu any recommended tracks. Its hard because each song blends in with the other so smoothly, and each song has its own movements that can't be taken out of context. This is a whole album listen, otherwise the effect will not be noticed.

The Short Version
I extremely recommend getting this album, because frankly its fucking amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Person Pitch is much better executed than Animal's Collective's previous stuff (yeah, I can't stop comparing the two). It's accessible, but follows the same vein as his previous works.

However, the two longer songs in the album stand out as the strongest: Bro's and Good Girl/Carrots. I think this is where Panda Bear's instrumentation, samples, and lyrics work their magic the most.

(and oh yeah, thanks for recommending this, it's a gem :D)